RE: TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:21:01 -0800
According to California's DMV web site, closed crankcase ventilation was not
required until 1963.  And, as I recall, OEMs were not required to make
modifications just for CA until 1971.

My 1967 Plymouth Valiant was an original CA car, which had the state
mandated "additional emissions control" which consisted of a vacuum leak
instead of the vacuum advance module.  But, it was added by the dealer, not
by the factory.

I've seen enough TR3Bs and early TR4s with that brass plug (all identical)
that I believe they were built that way by Triumph, not modified later.
According to the Moss catalog, the closed system was not introduced until
CT23594, well after the end of TR3B production.

Further, the TR3B on eBay actually has the PCV system, which was not
introduced by Triumph until the TR4A.

Randall