Re: list etiquette and wire wheel tape

To: "INTERNET:TexasTR4@aol.com" <TexasTR4@aol.com>
Subject: Re: list etiquette and wire wheel tape
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:39:52 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>, "[unknown]" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:TexasTR4@aol.com
>I don't remember if this was the list I saw it discussed on, but I thought

the bottom line was that it was very similar to electrical tape, but wider.

I used electrical tape back in '69 and it worked then.  Should work now I
would think.

Someone also suggested silicone caulk on the end of each spoke, inside the
wheel, to prevent rust from running down the spoke.  I guess this would
work
inside the splined hub to prevent grease running out too.

RH
<

The discussion I had (mostly off line) was that it was similar to
electrical tape but heavier gauge and different in other ways.  The seller
said it was a much better product for the application (naturally) for these
and other reasons.  My tire guy says he uses electrical tape, too.  But If
there is a better product I have to at least try to find it before giving
up.

There are good and bad aspects to sealling the spokes.  The good is that if
you have to take the tire to someone who is not familiar with tubes ("sure,
dude, we can, you know, fix your, like, tire, man") there are no suprises -
of course "what are all these, like, wire things, man?"

The down side is that a leak in the seal is almost impossible to find.  I
helped a friend seal up his using urethane seam sealer.  Easier to work
with and less prone to bunching as silicone RTV.  Me?  Just call me a
traditionalist.  At least as far as the TR3 is concerned.

Thanks for the reply.  I might resort to electrical tape before all is said
and done. (of course it is only after that point that I will find that for
which I am looking)

Dave