Re: TR6 heater problem

Subject: Re: TR6 heater problem
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:46:25 -0700
Jon,

You should not expect to get hot air through the air vents in the dash or
the air vents that are under the dash because all four are connected to
hoses that are connected to the heater box "above" the heater core.   The
air vents were designed only for fresh air and not heated air.  In the
winter or when you want heat in the interior or heat to the demister ducts
you close all four of those air vent knobs so that no air flows out the
vents and so that the air flow is encouraged to go through your heater core.
This is why you should make sure all four of those air vents are in working
order and can be closed otherwise you're going to always be getting nice
fresh (freezing) outside air into the interior and also less air through the
heater core.

Heated air can (or should) only come out two places, the
defrosters/demisters ducts or out the bottom of the heater box.  That is
what your air distribution knob does for you.  It lets you chose where the
heated air is directed.  You pull your air distribution knob to one of two
positions to decide if hot air is directed either out the hoses connected to
the demister ducts (that's the first position when you pull that knob) or
out the bottom of the heater box and into your interior (which should happen
with the air distribution knob pulled all the way out).

If you look at a picture of the heater box in a catalog or in a manual
you'll get a better idea of what happens when you pull the air distribution
knob and what that does to the flap, and what the flap does to air flow
through the heater box.  The heater core in the heater box is mounted
between where the air vent hoses connect on the heater box (highest hoses)
and where the demister hoses connect on the heater box (lowest hoses).  That
flap does a number of different things, it either stops air flow through the
heater core (by sealing the heater box right below the heater core and not
giving air a way to go through the heater core and so the fresh air coming
though your air vents is the coolest it can be like you want it in the
summer ), or lets air flow through the heater core and out the hoses (the
ones lowest on the side of the heater box) to the demisters by being in
position right below the hoses to the demisters, or lets air flow through
the heater core and out the bottom of the heater box by being in a position
that opens up the bottom of the heater box.  (of course you have to have the
heater control knob pulled out to let hot fluid flow through the heater core
and the temperature of your air is controlled by how much fluid you let flow
through the heater core).

For those that have pre-72 TR6s opening the scuttle vent in the winter
actually increases your heat because of increased air flow through the
heater core...for those that have post-72 TR6s there is no scuttle vent
cover only a grille so I think it's open all the time....but I could be
wrong about that too.

Hope this makes sense.
Bud Rolofson

 .