Re: Seeking advice on TR6 inertial reel seatbelts

To: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on TR6 inertial reel seatbelts
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:52:18 -0600
suhring wrote:

> Cregg:
>
> I originally put inertia belts in my '70 TR6 but didn't like them
> since they took away my ability to put the driver's seat all the way
> back
> (I mounted the real at the base of the b-post). I sold these and  got
> the standard three point belts which I feel very safe in and are
> much better suited for the 6.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> '70 TR6
> '59 TR3
>
> Cregg Cowan wrote:
> >
> > Hi Friends,
> >
> > I'm seeking advice about 3-point, inertial reel seat belts to replace the
> > lap belts in my 71 TR6.
> >
> > Multiple styles seem to be available:
> >
> > - Rimmer Bros (part# RL1163), TRF(part# ZKC3303), and Vicky Brit (part #
> > 12-498) seem to be the same or similar.
> > - The Oct 2000 Moss catalog (TRS-11) shows two additional options on p. 24
> > and p 130 as part # 222-005 and 222-020 (though curiously, I can't figure
> > out which picture is which).  These seat belts mount to the B post in some
> > undescribed way.
> >
> > Anyone have good or bad experiences to share?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Cregg Cowan
> > 71 TR6
> > Mountain View, California

I installed the inertial reel belts from Moss a couple of years ago in my 71
TR6. I mounted the reel on the side of the compartment behind the seats -- on
the inner side of the fenderwell. I, too, have to have my seat all the way back
(another story). I don't like the belts. They do not easily retract, because the
belts have to go vertically through the shoulder belt guide on the top of the
fenderwell and then make a sharp turn to go over your shoulder. Between the
friction from this sharp turn, and the friciton against the top boot when it is
down, the belt doesn't properly retract, causing dangling belts outside tho door
(ouchie in the paint) and constant fumbling upon car entry.

Also, the fixed end that fastens to the driveshaft tunnel is extremely stiff,
and is abrading the side of the seat due to adjusting and tilting up the seat. I
give my seat about one more year of this and I'll have to replace it. ugh.

I'm interested in the three point, non-reel belts but have not seriously looked
for them yet.

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to your
wealth.