TR7 BFH#24-c

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#24-c
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:14:35 EST
I've become intrigued with a solid insert called a Keensert mentioned by a
number of you.  It's similar to the timecert inserts, with the exception of
having a "key" that you tap down to lock the insert in place.

Check out http://www.newmantools.com/kee.htm and see what you think.  They
are supposedly used in the aviation industry.

There is a "thin-wall" and "heavy-duty" version.  For the 3/8" internal
thread size that I need, I would drill out a 29/64 hole for thin-wall, or a
33/64 hole for heavy duty. All the specs are at the above website.

On my worst hole, the 29/64 still didn't provide a smooth surface --
remanants of threads were still there.

So now I'm agonizing over whether to drill them all 33/64, or just the one
that needs the larger size since I don't know if 4/64 extra material taken
out on all the holes is going to cause a problem -- and yeah, I'm getting
tired!!!!

And I think in some of the holes the heliocoil will hold.

So the question for tonight is, drill everything out at 33/64, or mix and
match with 29/64 and heliocoil?

Maybe I can use the whole car as a coffee table....

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC