Re: The long road back TR3 marking on engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The long road back TR3 marking on engine
From: William Ashley Southgate <ashleys@es.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:24:41 +1300
>>Hi! From my research here in NZ,yes TRs used the Vanguard blocks,but the
big difference is,the TRs have larger cyclinder head studs ie 5/8,Vanguard
had 1/2 inch studs,the dip stick on TRs is at the front,Vanguards had them
behind the dizzy,but the Vanguard UTE had the dip stick hole up front,&
also the Vanguard UTE[pickup] had the cross drilled crankshaft,the Vanguard
did not.I have the 2 types of Vanguard motors,i should clean the blocks &
see if the rough brush red paint on these blocks.In NZ where the frost has
blown the blocks of TR motors,these have been replaced with the Vanguard
blocks,the UTE blocks are most sort after.The head studs holes are inlarged
in the block.In my TR3b i have a Vanguard camshaft which has been reground
to fast road spec,the bearings,head copper gasket[very cheap here about
$15.00us]of coarse you have to inlarge the stud holes,timing chain,valve
cover gasket, timing case seal, & the bottom end gaskets,all from the local
TEA Fergy tractor parts warehouse.Water pumps dont fit, but i used the
shaft & seals with a bit of lathe work.Some TR owners have had the Fergy
piston & sleeves fitted & leave off the bottom ring.All for now Cheers
Ashley.