Re: Annoying TR6 Comm. Numbers Question

To: msecrest@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Annoying TR6 Comm. Numbers Question
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:46:31 GMT
>From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
>To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: Annoying TR6 Comm. Numbers Question
>Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:02:06 -0500
>
>Hi all:
>
>Sorry to ask this ... I've checked the VTR website and can't find the
>information ... but I'm looking at picking up a spare TR6 motor and
>chassis, so, can anyone identify the year of:
>
>TR6 engine, commission number CC6366OE?
>
>TR6 transmission, comm. number 306812SM?
>
>Also, are TR6 commission numbers "matched," as they are for other
>collector cars?  If someone had, for instance, a non-original '72 engine
>in a '72 car, could anyone tell?
>
>--
>Martin Secrest
>All Original 72 TR6
>73 GT6
>Arlington, VA

   While I can't specifically speak to TR6s I can speak to the earlier
   cars... Generally engine and tranny numbers should be close to the
   vehicle com numbers, e.g. my TR4's com number is CT4852L the engine
   number is CT5002. The transmission that came in my car was from a
   TR3A as it had a TS number and wasn't 4speed synchroed. Also the
   head #28??? sort of points to some PO putting a different head on it.

   If Leyland kept to the previous policy, your engine could very well
   be the one that came on the car. That's just a guess, though

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)