Re: The long road back

To: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>, "'Drew Rogge'" <drew@pixar.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The long road back
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:26:47 -0800 "RE: The long road back" (Nov 1, 3:32pm)
> Subject: RE: The long road back
>
> Drew wrote:
> Snip->
>  The only thing I could think of that would cause this
> was that the cam had been broken (always assume the worst) causing
> the valve timing for the #4 cylinder to go out and allowing the piston
> to bash into the valves.
> unsnip <-
>       Lucky Guy-  My  fuel pump lever pin fell halfway out, I pushed it
>       back in and drove another few miles whereupon it fell out again and
>       yes, the camshaft snapped, just like you feared. Fortunately,
>       the valve doesn't stay open, and no piston crashing occurs.

I didn't feel like I HAD to admit it but I guess it'll be good for my
soul to confess. This was the second time the pin came out on this fuel
pump too. Although I did go to the trouble of staking around the hole the
first time in an attempt to keep the pin in. Didn't work :-(

> snip->
> I'm going to take the block and head somewhere to get them cleaned out
> and was wondering if this will remove the rust build up? I'm also
> concerned about the aluminum plugs in the head and oil gallery. Does
> the cleaning solution used to clean things up eat aluminum?
> unsnip<-
>       If your engine guy doesn't clean ALL the crap out, you shouldn't pay
> him.
>       If he is a good guy, he will replace all those Al plugs anyway,
>       and  clean out the oil passageways as well.

According to the Moss catalog, the alum. plugs for the oil gallery aren't
available. Hence my concern.

[snip]

> Good luck,
> Bob Westerdale