Re: S.U. Carbs (and kids nowadays!)

Subject: Re: S.U. Carbs (and kids nowadays!)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:49:37 -0600
jmwagner wrote:

> I think your kid is the exception to the rule... these days... when a
>teenager is
> "into cars", it  means they know all the statistics, for all the latest hot
> cars... and they know all about the latest bolt-on performance equipment that
> they can buy.   It doesn't mean that they would actually dismantle and rebuilt
> their own carbs or suspension, etc...   They either pay a shop to do it...
>or, if
> it's a bolt-on performance item, they might do it themselves... but only if
>one
> Metrinch set, a crescent wrench, and one screwdriver bit set will do the job.

Justin, I think you're just crabby after all those transpacific flights. <g>
Granted I see more tweaked Hondas than LBCs on the road, but I
was surprised to meet so many other young(er) owners at the Colorado
british car show a couple weeks ago.

One of my favorite fellow owner stories is from the afternoon my
generator fell off (at least it was someone else's sloppy reassembly). My
hardware store was on the way home, so I parked on the curb to grab
some bolts. The 17-year-old helping customers find things asked about
my car, then explained that he is restoring his Dad's '62 TR4 -- rolled a
couple decades ago by Dad. The next generation is out there, it's just
that they're in the garage like many Triumph owners. <g>

Finally, I thought the advantage of our cars was that you only need one
wrench set and a screwdriver to keep them on the road. <g>

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO