Re: Brakes drop in TR4 autocross

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes drop in TR4 autocross
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:15:49 -0400
Cc: "Steven Newell" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Phil Ethier"
> <snip>
I have sort of the opposite problem.  Since I bought the TR4, the brakes
have been solid, high, and immediate.  Not the slightest hint of needing to
be pumped up, ever.  The classic "hard pedal".

I went to an autocross last Sunday.  Thought it would be fun to let my
buddies see me slide around on the brick-like tires it is currently
wearing.

I launched, then made a few turns, accelerated, changed up to second.  Then
I needed to use the brakes for the first time on the run. The pedal dropped
more than half the travel.  The brakes worked fine, but it felt really
weird
having such a long stroke to get to them.  Scared me half to death the
first
time. <snip>
<

I have the same problem with the TR6 ever since I rebuild the brakes (along
with the suspension, etc) and switched to DOT5.  I wonder...

Same thing.  Fine around town or on the highway until some serious
cornering.  Could it be the centrifugal force causing the piston to receed?
 I tried cranking hard on the steering with the wheel against a curb but
could not recreate the problem.

If you figure it out let us know.

Dave