Re: TR3A cam

To: "Mike Thompson" <miket@urgrgcc.edu>, "Bob and Nancy" <wises@mail.execpc.com>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A cam
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 00 21:46:21 -0700
There is a nasty harmonic at 5200 RPM that breaks cranks at the base of
the flywheel flange.  So a stock crank engine does not want to rev above
5000 RPM.  British Frame & Engine (626-443-0939)  I recommend their 260
degree street cam and a set of hardened lifters.  Then have the lifters
hardness tested anyway.  I have his 280 degree cam whhich comes on around
2800 RPM & goes real stong through 6000 RPM.  But I also have a nitrided
crank AND the harmoic dampener.  Don't take a stock crank over 5000 RPM &
cam accordingly.

>Hi Bob,
>Don't go any larger or wilder than you NEED to. Every cam has an operating
>range or a RPM range it is designed for. If you get a cam that makes it's
>torque and HP's from 4000 to 6000, that will do you little good. My TR3
>cruises at 60-65mph at around 3000 to 3500. I think I got a mild race or hot
>street cam that operates at 2800 to 5500rpm. When I hit 2800 RPM I can feel
>the car take off or "come on cam." Racers drive at wide open throttle and
>high RPM's. You will not get much benefit from that type of cam.
>I hope this helps your cam shopping.
>Cheers,
>Mike

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.