Re: Help with TR3 Lucs sport coil swap

To: dwillner@icontech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with TR3 Lucs sport coil swap
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:19:19 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/00 10:05:51 PM EDT, dwillner@icontech.com writes:

> I'm swapping out the original "Sandard" coil (finally) with a new Sports
>  coil and have noticed a slight difference in markings near the posts. The
>  original had the BAT and the DIST marking while the Sport coil has a
>  positive and a negative symbol. Can someone tell me what leads go where, I
>  couldn't find any other info. TIA

Dave, I don't think I've ever seen a Lucas coil with BAT and DIST markings.
When you refer to "Standard" I assume you're referring to the Standard
Ignition Products company and not Standard-Triumph?

Anyway, the old Lucas coils original to a TR3 usually had SW and CB markings
on the terminals, for SWitch and Contact Breaker, respectively. Your new
Sport coil's "+" terminal would connect to the switch (battery) side of the
circuit, and the "-" to the ground (distributor) side, unless you're still
running a positive ground system.

Geesh, I hope I have that right; it's been a long day.... ;-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register