Re: TR6 - How many miles on this car?

Subject: Re: TR6 - How many miles on this car?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:24:32 -0600
Richard R Olson wrote:

>      I asked this same question in '96 when I acquired my '72 TR6.  The
>      answers I got were, generally: If you can't tell, don't worry about
>      it, enjoy the car.  And I am....but...
>
>      Nagging question: why would DPO replace the speedo?

I recall my DPO saying he had the speedo rebuilt because the lense was dirty --
and I guess it wandered a little, still does. He thought the car probably had
about 140K on it though. The mechanic who'd worked on the car for several years
before my DPO bought it said "What?!? The car had around 40K miles on it!" He
claimed the *previous* previous owner -- who had the car from '65 to '98 -- had
driven it little since he rallyed it in the late '60s in Oklahoma, then took it
on a last 700 mile club run in the late '90s before selling it. So if the DPO
had just asked the speedo rebuilder to put the same reading on the speedo when
he was done rebuilding it, I'd *possibly* have the correct original mileage.
Assuming it never stopped working over those near-40 years.

The mechanic said he'd try to turn up the old service records (he's moved
offices, so they're in a box somewhere hopefully) which would show the odometer
readings during the mid-'90's. Still, won't keep me from driving the car like
it's nearly new. <g>

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO