Re: Triumph TR6 on the dyno [long]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph TR6 on the dyno [long]
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 17 Sep 2000 15:58:16 -0000
Cc: kai@radiohead.net
Kai M. Radicke wrote:
    > The main conclusion I come away with is that
    > the TR-6 drivetrain is extremely efficient, there seems to be only a
about a
    > 10% reduction in horsepower and torque from the flywheel to the rear
wheels.
    > Most of the time the general rule of thumb is 25 to 30 percent.

    > Does your TR-6 have overdrive?  Did you engage overdrive while on the
dyno?

Yes, I do have O/D, but it was not used in the run.  Several
people have remarked that when they work out the hp at the
flywheel, it comes in quite a bit higher than the factory
figures.

There are two main reasons for this:  the electric fan and the
electronic ignition.  The old mechanical fan has to consume quite
a few ponies.  When I installed the  electronic ignition, the
drivability of the car improved noticibly, so there has to be
something there as well.  During the dyno test, they are also able
to monitor the air/fuel ratio, which on my car ran at about 12.6,
which is pretty near perfect (according to the dyno guys).  I have
been very careful in my carb tuning, and have carefully searched out
and repaired all manifold (intake and exhaust) leaks.  You will
note how smooth the curve is, with no bumps or transitions.  Perhaps
the Monza exhaust played its part too.

So it may be argued that my car is not completely "stock", however
the changes I have made are 1) within the range of any shade-tree
mechanic, 2) inexpensive, 3) reversible (for the originality
obsessed), 4) make the car so much more drivable and pleasant.

Cheers,

Shane