Re: Weber downdrafts and TR6 PCV system

To: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Weber downdrafts and TR6 PCV system
From: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:46:57 -0700
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I faced a similar problem on my MGB, for a different reason. I didn't want
to vent my crankcase through the carb bodies, and I didn't have the original
anti-backfire valve. So, I ran a line from the crankcase, or in your case,
the valve cover, to the intake manifold. In between I used an inline PCV
valve from an engine of similar displacement. I simply went to the autoparts
store, and went through their inventory, seeking to match up engine
displacement, inlet and outlet hose sizes. With a few pieces of hose and
some plumbing fittings, using existing holes in the intake manifold,
everything is just dandy, some 20 years later. And it passes smog check. You
would have to drill and tap a hole for a hose fitting in your valve cover,
and possibly in the intake manifold if there were no acceptable ports
available, but I don't know why it wouldn't be possible. The PCV is
important to keep the engine backfire from pressurizing the crankcase/valve
cover on overrun. If you don't want to go through at least that much,
routing a line to the air filters is one of the factory solutions, at one
stage of their evolution.

Michael Singleton