Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)

Subject: Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:47:45 -0600
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com, pethier@isd.net
Phil:

> Phil, just a note.  You realize that only the early TR4's had the 48 spoke,
> 4" wire wheels (same as the TR3)?  These wheels are not really adequate for
> the increased weight of the TR4.  Somtime in 1962 the 60 spoke, 4 1/2" wheels
> became the standard option.
>
> My references say to be careful with the 48 spoke wheels ("only for show or
> gentle motoring").  If you ever get new ones, I'd recommend going wth the 60
> spoke wheels.

Right, I may have mentioned this to you, Phil. According to the heritage
certificate, my early TR4 (CT5018LO) came with 48 spoke wheels, but
they were long ago upgraded. Art, mine appear to be 72 spoke wheels --
would that be possible? I lost count over 60 somewhere. <g> Like Phil, I'm
coveting a nice set of Minilites -- easier to count the spokes -- Go, Santa!

Phil, if you track down some nice vintage or new center-lock minilites
but decide you must have a fair set of 70-odd spoke wires, we could
certainly trade even-up. <g>

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO