Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)

To: musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu
Subject: Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 00:10:17 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 08-Sep-00 20:26:40 Eastern Daylight Time,
musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu writes:

> In the Official Spares Catalog; page 40 (Prop Shaft & Road Wheels)
>  Centre Lock Wire Wheels
>  (48 spoke type)
>  p/n 596165 Lacquered
>  p/n 506166 Alum.
>  p/n 506167 Dull Chrome
>  p/n 506168 Bright Chrome
>
>  Same Book; page 143 (High Speed Equipment)
>  Centre Lock Wire Wheels
>  (60 spoke type)
>  p/n 506169 Lacquered
>  p/n 506170 Alum
>  p/n 506171 Dull Chrome
>  p/n 506172 Bright Chrome
>
>  I don't know if Lacquered is body colored or the silver we know or does the
>  Alum. Or Dull Chrome qualify as the regular painted wheels.
>
>  Carl

Carl, right on.  You are talking about TR 3's, I think.  Page 41 of  the TR4
"Spare Parts Catalogue (SPC ) lists all the eight, with same numbers, you
have cited.  The difference is that they are all listed together under
"Propellor Shaft and Road Wheels" (not separated into "High Speed
Equipment").  This is the Second Edition of the TR4 SPC, which I bought in
'68.

My original comment to Phil was: Quote: You realize that only the early TR4's
had the 48 spoke, 4" wire wheels (same as the TR3)?  These wheels are not
really adequate for the increased weight of the TR4.  Somtime in 1962 the 60
spoke, 4 1/2" wheels became the standard option. Unquote.  Guess I should
have said "standard option" for wire wheels on the early TR4''s was the 48
spoke.

When I ordered my car in '64 the only option I had was "wire wheels."  When I
accepted the car in London in Jun '64 the wheels were 60 spoke. To me that
says that the 60 spoke wheels had become the "standard" for the later TR4,
even though the company still offered the 48 spoke wheels in the SPC.  That's
also what my other references say.  Cheers.

Art Kelly