Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 48 Spoke wire wheels (was Re: center-lock alloy wheels?)
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:33:52 -0700
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com, pethier@isd.net
Arthur, from my memory of the factory parts book, 48-, 60-, and 72-spoke
wires were all listed as options (perhaps starting in '58 or so).  From
that, I assume none would be considered incorrect from an originality
standpoint.  I personally find 72-spoke wires to look too "busy" for a
TR3.

I believe many factory and other race cars ran on 48-spoke wheels in the
'50s, though SCCA _may_ have banned their use later.

Phil, I frequently see center-lock alloy wheels advertised for Big
Healeys, and they look very good on them.  I think they would also look
good on a TR.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
http://www.norfolk.infi.net/~kedwards/
4.5 TRs (most with wires, one with ARE real MAGs)
1.5 Big Healey 2-seaters
1 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo, in need of much TLC