Re: Stuck clutch???

To: lrmetz@home.com, slantws@home.com
Subject: Re: Stuck clutch???
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:19:27 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/12/00 3:47:56 PM EDT, lrmetz@home.com writes:

> I want to thank all the suggestions for releasing the clutch.  Being
>  only an amateur mechanic, I took my TR-4A to a long time experienced
>  professional......I took along your ideas and learned that he had
>  already tried all of them, well at lease most of them...He was planning
>  one last driving attempt this afternoon, then reluctantly, he will be
>  removing the tranny and replacing the clutch....

I got to exactly that point with a Mk IV Spitfire: tried what I thought was
every trick several times, then "reluctantly" began removing the gearbox. No
sooner did I do that and begin to unbolt the clutch cover but what the driven
disk immediately slipped and came loose. Was I THAT close to having broken it
free? Guess I'll never know.... :-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register

p.s. Bolted it all back together, and all was fine (and still is, seven years
later).