RE:Tachometer dilemma

To: "sppchicago@excite.com" <sppchicago@excite.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE:Tachometer dilemma
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:32:08 -0400
Stephen,

YES you can move the guts of the new tach to the old case.
You have to remove the bezel and glass, then remove the two screws
on the back, then gently lever the guts out of the case

Reverse the process for the replacement case..

I have a manual on speedometer repair on my website.  A speedo is almost
identical to the tach, just more inside the guts for the odometer functions.
Actually the
frame of the tach is the same as the speedo.

You can also repair the old tach if you feel like it.  The manual will help you
with this!

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>From: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Subject: Tachometer Dilemma

Most of the gauges on my TR3 are non-functional.  So I decided to attack the
tachometer yesterday.  I first replaced the cable (which had snapped), but
the tachometer still didn't work.  I purchased a tachometer several months
ago, attached the cable, and "voila" I have a working tachometer.

Now the dilemma.  The replacement tachometer - although looking to be an
original - does not have the two tubular openings on the back to connect
lights (when the headlights are lit).  So, can I switch backings on the
tachometers (and how do I do this)?  Should I just rough it and use a
flashlight at night to see the tacometer?  Or should I try to get the
original tachometer repaired, if possible (and where can I get this done)?<