Re: Wheels, TR4A IRS

To: <gilmo004@mc.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Wheels, TR4A IRS
From: "Rich Scotti" <Rich@Scotti.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:28:52 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm not sure of which offset your looking for but the 60 series tires may
pose a problem without some suspension mods. Forgive me if this topic has
been beaten to death on the list already.

If you intend to use larger tires (and presumably harder cornering) make
sure you use the TR6 style Inner Trunnion brackets. These attach to the
frame with two studs rather than the single 3/8"NF stud of the original
design. Apparently this is a dangerous weakness in the original 4a
suspension.  The competition prep (Kasner) details how to make this mod
yourself or all the mail order places only sell this kind anymore. Also
recommended is the weld in brackets to beef up the mounting point at the
frame.

Good luck

RScotti
66 TR4A IRS ... "Six years into a 12-month restoration"