TR3A signal/horn control head

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A signal/horn control head
From: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:27:12 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Last year I loosened the 3 set screws and removed the head to tighten the
nut holding the steering wheel in place.  I replaced the control head & set
screws and everything worked just fine.

This year I repeated the process but actually put some Loctite on the nut so
I wouldn't have to do it again, but when I put the control head back in
place it free-wheels around the hub of the steering wheel so the signal
switch doesn't remain at the top of the wheel when I move it but instead the
whole housing moves with it unless I hold it in place at the same time, and
of course the signals aren't self canceling (feels like I'm driving a
Citroen!)

What did I do differently?  The only thing I could see that would possibly
prevent it from free wheeling is a notch on the control head that might line
up with a gap on the inner tube in the steering shaft that carries the
wires.  The service manual makes no mention of the control head and offers
no pictures.  I can see nothing that looks broken.

Of course as I'm farting around I'm scraping the insulation off the wires,
so if I have to re-wire it how do I shove 4 wires though that little tube?
Fishing line?

Art McEwen.