Re: TR8 Motor question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, amdickin@acs.ucalgary.ca
Subject: Re: TR8 Motor question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:54:41 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/2000 12:25:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mark Andrew
Dickinson <amdickin@acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

>  Hey guys (and gals):
>
>  In a rescent discussion I encountered a person who was 100% sure that the
> TR8 motor
>  was in fact an Oldsmobile derivative.  I always thought that this engine
> owed its
>  heritage to Buick.  Can anyone clarify this point for me please?  I don't
> like to
>  spout off false knowledge and neither does the other guy.  We are just
> insanely
>  curious.

Mark,

Just for the record, to add to what M. Porter, R. Young, and others have
said, the engine was originally designed by the Buick division of General
Motors, and was then used by Oldsmobile and Pontiac. The tooling for the
engine was then sold to British Leyland. The Buick V6 was derived from this
engine, only in an iron version, not aluminum.

Most of the parts in the BOP version, and to a lessor extent, the Rover
versions, are interchangable. There were significant differences in the heads
as used on the Buick vs the Oldsmobile. Many parts from the V6 and from the
larger Buick V8s are interchangable as well.

If you want to know everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, there is to know about
these engines, join the MGV8 mailing list at mgb-v8@autox.team.net. These
folks use these engines in their MGBV8 conversions, and have, quite
literally, written the book about them. You might also want to subscribe to
the MGV8 newsletter, as there has been many articles written in the
newsletter about these engines. See  <
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm >  for more details on the
newsletter, along with a complete listing of past articles.

TVR is currently selling a car with a 5.0 version of this engine!

One little known fact about these engines that will surprise you --
Physically, they are LARGER than the 302 Ford engine!

Dan Masters
Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/