Re: More on Triumphest and autocross.

To: <TexasTR4@aol.com>, <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: More on Triumphest and autocross.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:36:24 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>So way back in the dark ages (1967) when I participated in a Gymkana in my
>Riley 1.5...how was that different than an autocross.
>
>I went to an autocross that year, but it was longer and on roads, more like
>road race, for one car at a time.
>
>Please enlighten me as to the difference.
>
>RH...ol' farts want to know!

The uses of the words
Autocross
Gymkhana
Funkhana

Have gotten mixed up over the years.  What is now called autocross in most
of the USA was called gymkhana in the 60s in the Twin Cities.

An autocross is an event usually on a parking lot or airport apron, but
sometimes on a kart track or an automobile race track.  Speeds are kept to
around 70 mph or less.  Course is supposed to be defined by cones.  Cars
always go forward.  Scoring is by the time taken to complete the course, and
time penalties are added for striking cones.

A funkhana is and event wherein contestants do odd things like carrying a
ball in a spoon held out the car window or throw rings around cones.
Backing up and garaging maneuvers are often included.  Oddly, funkhana  can
be harder on a car than autocross.

The term "gymkhana" is now used by various people in various places to mean
either autocross or funkhana.  For that reason, it is best to avoid using
the term.  That's a shame, since it is a great historical word from India
which describes essentially a funkhana on horses.

I notice your adddress is TexasTR4@aol.com   Whereabouts in Texas are you
located?  I'm flying to San Antonio next weekend to pick up a TR4.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green