Re: TRF Spring Compressor

To: KMNTR6@aol.com
Subject: Re: TRF Spring Compressor
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
The Roadster Factory tools are generally very good.  I myself made a
spring compressor years ago out of a piece of threaded rod and a couple
of grade 8 nuts.  I had a machine shop cut me a lower disk for a few
bucks.  I've used this on TR-3's, -4's, and -6'ses.

TRF's is easy to use:  Support the front on jack stands, and put a jack
under the spindle once you have removed the brake   disk and the caliper.
Remove the shock absorber.  Insert central portion of the tool through the
spring, and put the nuts on the top and bottom.  Now just crank down on
the nuts to hold the spring in place.

Undo the six nuts and bolts that secure the spring pan to the lower
frames. Now slowly unscrew the nuts on the tool.  You may have some
difficulty with the innermost nuts and having the pan clear the frame of
the car.  Reinstallation is, as all the manuals like to say, "The
reverse!"

One trick:  On reinstallation, the main problem is getting the two
innermost pan nuts back on.  This because when you reinstall the spring,
the pan comes upwards at an angle to the attachment of the lower frame.
This requires that you very heavily compress the spring.  This is the most
dangerous part.  The amount of energy stored in the compressed spring is
quite large.  To avoid any problems, you need to get a couple of 3 1/2"
long 3/8" (or 5/16", I don't remember which, but they are the same as the
ones used on the lower frame/pan) bolts and put them through the two
center holes on the lower frame and pan.  Install two nuts on the bolts.
These bolts act as centering pins, so that as you compress the pan and
spring, it rises smoothly up to the frame, and you can get the
correct attachment bolts to feed through the frame and pan.

Cheers.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 KMNTR6@aol.com wrote:

> All
>
> Does anyone have experience with a TRF Spring Compressor for a TR3? I am
> rebuilding my front suspention and I understand if the spring is not removed
> correctly it can be DANGEROUS. It came with NO directions.
>
> I am at the point where the shock has been removed and it is time to take the
> spring out. I put the shaft of the compressor through the opening for the
> shock. The lower end has been positioned over the 4 shock bolts and the upper
> end at the top of the shock tower. I tightened the top bolt until the shock
> was slightly compressed. I then removed the six nuts/four bolts from the
> lower A arm. I loosened the top bolt of the compressor until the entire
> compressor was loose, but the spring is still there. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Later
> Ken Nachman
> Richmond Triumph Register
> 1957 TR3 TS21086L