Re: seat springs

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seat springs
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:43:57 -0700
Gary Nafziger wrote:

> I have not priced seat springs lately but remember in the past when I
> have......they seemed exhorbantly expensive.........was just wondering if
> anyone had tried to just form/cut a thick piece of foam......to do the same
> thing........

I just did this very thing this week.  Took my seats to an upholstery shop to
rework the seats and repair a small tear (I had installed the leather kit
myself in 1992 and frankly it looked like someone's first attempt at recovering

seats).

They found the springs too poor (weak, rusty, broken) to use so they built the
cushions using foam on a base of ½" plywood.  The result is beautiful and
comfortable.  I believe you would really have to pull the cushion and look at
the bottom to know there were not springs in there.

I gave them the pictures from the Moss catalogue so they could see what the
seats were supposed to look like and they matched that very well.  Cost was
about
the same as a pair of seat springs but included repairs and professional
installation
of the upholstery.

Picture at:  http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/seats.JPG

Geo Hahn