RE: seat springs

To: "Mark Gendron" <mgendron@speakeasy.org>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: seat springs
From: "Phil @ Home" <philpatt@kalamazoo.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:40:18 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
> I need to build some TR2 seats, and I have a couple of questions about
> springs:
>
> 1. What's the difference between the early and late-style spring cases?
> Will early seats look right if late spring cases are used, or is the shape
> significantly different?

Finally a question I (should be able) can answer....

Working from memory (the TR3's in the garage, and the TR2's in Dad's garage
40 miles away)....

The TR2 springs have a more "squared off" front.  Mine do not have a "cross
beam" on the bottom ala a TR3.  In a TR3 that is used to clip the springs
into the seat frames.

AFAIK, the only other differences are in the frames themselves.  The TR2
frames have a more forward sloping front lip.  Apparently, that and no clip
to hold the springs in place resulted in some seat springs sliding forward
when stopping, hence the addition of the clip and more vertical front lip.
Oh, and the TR2 frames don't fold.

I don't believe most people would notice the TR3 style seat in a TR2.
Certainly not enough difference to worry about, I'd think.

My problem is the reverse of yours.  I've got the original seat springs but
TR3 seat frames.  If I cannot locate TR2 frames, I'll be using the TR3
frames with my TR2 springs.

Cheers!

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}
56 TR3  - TS13872-L  {project #2}
56 TR3  - TS11820-L  {Dad's}
56 TR3  - TS9169-LO {Anyone seen this car? - Last seen in Missouri in 1964}
philpatt@kalamazoo.net
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2890/