Re: Transmission woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission woes
From: CHRISTOPHER THOMSON PHELAN <ctp2@lehigh.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:18:13 -0400
I don't know if this helps at all, but the same thing
happened to my 67 VW Bus, it popped out of fourth, but
you could hold it in gear, although when you do that,
the transmission fights it. Does it pop out of gear
when you are accelerating in third, or when you are
more or less coasting in third? The bus popped out of
fourth on acceleration, and I was told that was due to
a worn slider and worn syncro. Fortunately, bus
trannies are cheap (compared to TR trannies) so i got a
freshly rebuilt unit and put it in. You can fix it the
way the PO of my Bus did, rig up a bungee cord to hold
it in gear, but I wouldn't suggest it.