RE: Transmission woes

To: dncullig@us.ibm.com, TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission woes
From: "Riggs, R Kevin" <rkriggs@ugsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:50:42 -0700
Please reply to the list (or at least copy me in your reply to Dennis).  My
72 non-OD TR6 also pops out of third, though only on deceleration.  The box
was rebuilt twice -- once by TRF, and once by a local mechanic, and has less
than 3k miles on either rebuild.  But it has used (don't have a book with
me, don't remember the proper terminology) "syncro hubs"? in it.  Big fat
assemblies with lots of little ball bearings and springs...  TRF claimed the
used items were within tolerance.  I sent one set back (because my local
mechanic didn't like them), and TRF (here, I think we're really talking
about C.A.R.?) sent me another used set, which my mechanic grudgingly
installed.  When it still popped out of 3rd gear, he gave me my money back
and threw up his hands.

What's involved in repairing this?  I do fine with big greasy/rusty nuts &
bolts, and I don't mind fiddling with small bolt-on parts.  But I've always
been shy of messing with critical internal components.

TIA,
Kevin Riggs