Re: TR3 speedometer question

To: Kinderlehrer <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 speedometer question
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:28:43 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I Just did this with my Speedo. I had taken it apart to repair the
odometer, so figure I may have messed it up. When I was on the highway
doing 65, everyone would be passing me. I never ran the car before the
speedo rebuild, so I don't know if it was wrong before.

I took an old speedo cable, and connected it to a DC motor with a reed
switch and magnet to clock RPM and a DC variable power supply to control
the speed.. I then used a electronic pulse counter to measure the speed
of the motor, and set the motor to 1180 RPM (19.66 pulses per second),
which should give 60 miles per hour on the speedometer (same as the
revs/mile figure on the speedo face). The speedo actually read more than
70. I just pulled the needle from the shaft and repositioned it bit by
bit until I got the correct speed, then rechecked it at 30 and 90 miles
per hour. It was only off by a few MPH at 90, so I left it.

You can get a magnet and reed switch at Radio Shack, and use an
electronic tachometer instead of the counter. The 4 cylinder setting
will read 1/4 of the actual RPM. If you've got an electric drill with
speed control, you can chuck the cable into it and use that.

--
George Richardson
Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559LT -