Re: TR3 speedometer question

Subject: Re: TR3 speedometer question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 23:04:03 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob :

Definitely check out Tony Rhode's web site (as suggested by Geo Hahn).

At the risk of being too obvious, check the accuracy of the
odometer/tripmeter.  If they are also wrong, then you have a gearing
problem.  If they are right, then you just have a speedo head that reads
high (which is a fairly normal consequence of wear in these units).  The
tach uses the same mechanism, and is also prone to read high.

TR3s (like TR2 through early TR6) did not have different speedo drive
gears for different rear ends, tires, etc., but instead changed the
entire speedo head.  As explained on Tony's site, there is a calibration
number printed on the face of the speedo that indicates which unit it
is.

Randall