RE: unleaded gas

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: unleaded gas
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:49:30 -0400
>In any event the available "substitutes" may or may not supply either the
>octane boost or the valve lubrication of lead. Some of those additives have
>been demonstrated to be worthless for any purpose.
>
>Mixing race gasoline with pump gasoline is a dangerous and expensive
>business, and also appears to be illegal - it certainly wouldn't be of much
>help on an extended trip.
>
>Jim Hill

Jim I agree with the lead substitute.  I have never seen any independent
corroboration of the
claims made by the substitute manufacturer.

However, valve recession is like the Y2K bug imho.  A real issue in a few
cases.  The
good news is that the fix later is no more expensive than the preventive
maintenance
(unless you let the valve burn REALLY badly).

I somewhat disagree about the your statement about the racing fuel.  The _act_
of mixing the fuel in your tank.  (e.g.  add 6 gallons of racing fuel to a half
tank of pump
fuel) is not particularly unsafe.  No worse than filling your lawnmower.  The
_storage_
of large amounts of gasoline is more of an issue.

Many years ago (many = beyond the statute of limitations) I knew the proprietor
of a
small airfield.  I used to drive up to the field and fill up with 100 octane
low lead aviation gas.
My TR4A loved that stuff.  It used to diesel like mad on most pump gas, but the
avgas
was perfect.

I used to keep 15 gallons of the avgas with my lawnmower stuff.
I never blew up.  Nowadays I just keep 5 gallons of stuff for the mowers.

-Tony