Re: TR4 ADDCO Anti-Sway Bar Instructions

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 ADDCO Anti-Sway Bar Instructions
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 09:26:21 -0700
Brian :

Your TR4 installation is probably similar to my TR3.  If so, the thick
plates go above the front A-arm, secured to the A-arm by the center bolt
(which I had to replace with a longer bolt).  They have a 3/8" hole for
the A-arm bolt, and a 1/2" hole for the vertical link and bushings.

The bar mounts go in front of the suspension, on the underside of the
frame horns (bumper mounting brackets).  On the TR3, the frame horns are
angled, the mounts match that angle and go on the bar just where it
turns to form the action arms so the bar also matches the angle.

On my front bar, the action arms are parallel.  I would assume that, for
a TR4, ADDCO just increased the distance between the arms and kept them
parallel, to account for the increase in track.  However, the main thing
is to keep the vertical links vertical, so you may have to adjust the
spread of the arms a bit.

I had to adjust the spread on the rear bar I got from them, so,
following their instructions over the phone, I stuck one end under a
tire on a car, and pulled on the body of the bar until it permanently
bent the appropriate amount.  The rear kit I got from them appeared to
have been made for a TR4, I had to contact them to get some different
brackets to attach the vertical link to the rear axle with.  The
original brackets looked like the front brackets, and were supposed to
stick out to the side of the rear suspension.  However, a TR3 doesn't
have enough room between the suspension and tire for that, so they had
to give me a modified bracket that let the vertical link be directly
under the spring.  The result looked awfully close to the ground, but I
haven't knocked it off (yet). At the time, they said I was the first one
to install one of their rear bars on a TR3A.  They have probably updated
their kits in the meantime to fix the problem.

BTW, I read the listing on the Addco site (
http://www.addco.net/products/triumph.shtml ) to mean that the TR 3B
takes the same front bar as a TR3 (#127), and the same rear bar as a TR4
(#920).  I have no idea why that would be.

Their comment that the bars only fit TR3 "post-58" also makes no sense
to me, except perhaps they are referring to the transition from TR3 to
TR3A in 1957.  The bumper mounts changed substantially between TR3 and
TR3A, the Addco bars would not fit the earlier cars without substantial
modification. (Somewhere, I've seen an article on how to do the
modification, you basically add another bracket to each side and weld a
plate between them.)

Sorry, I have no idea what happened to my instructions.
Randall
59 TR3A daily driver