Re: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]

To: bwesterdale@edax.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]
From: WLSServ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:46:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/00 5:52:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bwesterdale@edax.com writes:

<< Butch-
    You are absolutely correct.  Those nasty little droplets floating
 around the soon-to-be-painted cars will cause 'fisheyes' when you apply the
 paint >>

Yes you are both correct!

The auto detailing shop a few doors down from me first washes the car and
engine, then sprays the tires with silicone.  They do this (spray the tires)
100 ft or more downwind from where the next stage is done, which is to apply
the polish and clean the interior, then the glass.

Their reasoning is that the silicone causes fisheyes in the polish and they
have to start over.

We painted the spit racecar here and were less than 100 ft, but thought we
were upwind, and yes, there were fisheyes everywhere, about 1/8 inch in
diameter!  Had to clean, sand and touchup a lot of areas.  All from little
droplets of spray!

Walt
TCNF
Jacksonville, FL