RE: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]

To: "'Butch Lewis'" <butchl@eudoramail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Silicone caution(?) [Was: Softening old Rubber]
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:43:39 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Butch-
        You are absolutely correct.  Those nasty little droplets floating
around the soon-to-be-painted cars will cause 'fisheyes' when you apply the
paint.  These are tiny little holes in the paint, similar to the defects
caused when the paint develops a tiny bubble which pops during drying.  And
when you think you've removed all the problem paint and repaint again,
chances are sufficient silicone  will still be there screw it up again!!
This can be especially bothersome when someone has waxed a car with a
silicone wax over paint that harbors little crevices and flaws.  The new
paint will jump off the car everywhere there is even the tiniest bit of
residue.
Bob Westerdale
59 3A TS36967E

Someone who has personal experience might correct me, but an auto body
repairman once told me that silicone spray was taboo in his shop because it
is so difficult to remove and wreaks havoc when trying to apply new paint.
This shouldn't matter for a car that is not headed for restoration but, if
true, should be kept in mind when spraying around one that is.

   Butch