Re: Advice on proper way to start car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on proper way to start car
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:46:53 GMT
DRSkruffy wrote:  >>Interesting. I have a 2002 BMW motor that was rebuilt,
balanced almost 15 years ago, then driven a couple thousand miles and parked
inside. Hasn't been started since.<<<

Funny, after I wrote the original reply, this afternoon I went out and tried
to start MY 2002 that had been sitting around.  It is a wreck that I picked
up last week for a song - has new rearend and driveline, relatively new
5-speed (wish I had one in my TR3!)and a hot engine with dual Weber 40DCOEs!
  It's the donor for our family '71 that desperately need the rearend and
drive line and would love to have the 5-speed.  The more I get thinking
about it, I'm going to put the engine in also, IF it runs well.

It was wrecked two years ago and has been sitting every since.  Went through
the excercise and car turn over, but mechanical oil pressure guage shows no
pressure.  Darn.  Pump has sat so long it won't prime.  Now I have to think
about that a little.  Oh well.

The original message was that his engine had been turned over a little since
abandonment, so didn't worry about stuck rings - but thanks for mentioning
that.  We had to do exactly that and rock the engine back and forth to break
the rings loose on a tractor that had been sitting for about 5 years.  And
the surface rust, well, lets just say that it is used to lap the rings in
real good before it gets washed into the oil filter......

Frank
     '59 TR3
     '71 BMW2002
     '51 Internation Cub tractor