Re: Advice on proper way to start car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on proper way to start car
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:24:51 GMT
>Larry R. Metz wrote:

Have '67 TR-4A, been in storage for 10 years, ......
Suggestions as to best way to start it, and run without damage?  <

Larry:

I'm no expert, but have been through this a couple of times.

My suggestion is to change the oil and filter, remove valve cover and pour
oil over everything, a little more oil down the plug holes if needed (not
too much here) then turn the engine over without plugs by hand to make sure
it is free.  Then turn it with the starter until the oil pressure comes up
(no spark or fuel.)  Careful if there has been too much oil down the plugs -
with plugs in you could break something (too high compression.)

You might want to check out the fuel system (drain and flush with fresh
gas), replace any fuel filters, oil and grease things as needed and change
the gunk in the radiator.

When ready to fire it up, crank the oil pressure up (not too long on the
starter though), add fuel and spark and see if it runs.
   Just my thoughts
    Frank
      '59 TR3A
      '71 BMW 2002