RE: Hub nuts -- the debate rages on

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hub nuts -- the debate rages on
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:55:41 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> From: Jeff McNeal
>
> P.S.  In case I have trouble driving home the adapter nuts
> with my socket
> wrench because of the poor clearance between the hub adapter
> center shaft
> and the nut itself, is there such a thing as an open-ended
> torque wrench?  I
> want to be 100% certain to get things RIGHT this time.

Jeff :

Although open-ended torque wrenches DO exist, they are normally only used in
Aerospace work, and are correspondingly expensive and difficult to find new.
A suitable substitute can be had by using a "crowfoot" wrench on the end of
your usual torque wrench.  All the usual tool makers (Snap-On, Mac, Proto,
etc.) offer crowfoot wrenches (which are very short open end wrenches,
designed to accept a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive), but I don't know about
Sears.  Using the crowfoot wrench will slightly alter the calibration of
your torque wrench, but IMO not enough to matter.

Another option might be to take a cheap impact socket of the correct size,
and grind away one point.  This will ruin it for normal use, but should do
to torque your adapter nuts and is probably cheaper than a set of crowfoot
wrenches.

Randall