Re: Ever lost a wire wheel? At 65 mph?

Subject: Re: Ever lost a wire wheel? At 65 mph?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:43:52 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Tom,

Your splines wore down on your wheel and/or hub.  Your experience nearly
mirrors mine identically over 20 years ago, except I was coming down an
offramp at about 60 MPH.

Glad you weren't killed, or that your wheel didn't kill someone else.
Dangerous business.

Wire wheels are really only good for about 70,000 miles.  Beyond that,
you're asking for trouble, especially if you don't keep them greased and
check them often.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I know firsthand how frightening it
can be -- as do many others on the list, I expect.

So what do you make of my decision to get rid of the steel wheels on my
latest Spitfire and replace them with wires?  Death wish?  Ha ha.  I'm
livin' on the edge, baby!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"