What The??

To: "Kim and Kelly Alford" <alfords@seanet.com>
Subject: What The??
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:49:15 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Kelly Alford writes:

>Usually I don't condone using the list as a complaint forum, but I
couldn't
resist this time.
Has anyone else seen the registration sheet for the VTR National Convention
in Portland, Oregon this year?  $125.00 for non-member, and $100.00 for
member!  The schedule of events look rather weak as well.  My car is not of
"concours" quality, but the only car show is concours.  Our local ABFM
typically has more events for the average enthusiast than what are
scheduled
at the VTR.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with what appear to be
convention for elitists.  I'm curious to know how many of you attended the
VTR's in years past, and were willing to pay $125.00 registration fee,
$34.OO, (per person), for the banquet, $15.00, (per person), for the
brunch,
and $18.00 for a T-shirt?  Having not attended one before, maybe the
scheduled list of events does not adequately portray the true worth of the
convention.  What if I don't want to participate in the scheduled events,
but would like to see the vendor's, cars for sale, (If they allow that sort
of thing), view the car show, and meet other enthusiasts.  Do I still have
to pay the $125.00?! If so, please tell me it was worth it at past VTR's.

Kelly Alford
<

Kelly,

I don't know how it breaks out but I send a check to New England Triumphs
for $199 (US).  That was one car, two people, two banquet tickets and the
breakfast run.  In 1998 I send a check to Minnesota Triumphs for $230.
Same
deal.  So these prices sound like they are in the ballpark.

As for the events,  I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience
will correct any errors, but the VTR has rather thurough codified the
conventions
and what events are to take place.  They include the concours, popular
choice,
Autocross, TSD ralley, funkahna, scenic road tour, model and art contest,
and
a few other activities.  Any club that deletes any of the specified events
would
be in default.  What would happen then I don't know, but if the word got
out
beforehand that there wouldn't be, say, an Autocross and popular choice
there would be a rather lack luster attendance, indeed.

Watch this space for further details, I am.

Dave Massey