Re: What The??

To: alfords@seanet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What The??
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:44:06 EST
In a message dated 1/16/00 1:39:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alfords@seanet.com writes:

<< The schedule of events look rather weak as well.  My car is not of
 "concours" quality, but the only car show is concours.  Our local ABFM
 typically has more events for the average enthusiast than what are scheduled
 at the VTR.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with what appear to be a
 convention for elitists.  I'm curious to know how many of you attended the
 VTR's in years past, and were willing to pay $125.00 registration fee,
 $34.OO, (per person), for the banquet, $15.00, (per person), for the brunch,
 and $18.00 for a T-shirt?  Having not attended one before, maybe the
 scheduled list of events does not adequately portray the true worth of the
 convention.  What if I don't want to participate in the scheduled events,
 but would like to see the vendor's, cars for sale, (If they allow that sort
 of thing), view the car show, and meet other enthusiasts.  Do I still have
 to pay the $125.00?! If so, please tell me it was worth it at past VTR's. >>

Kelly,
I don't think you put much thought into this. First off, I guess you just
looked at
the box labeled "Tentative schedule of events" and didn't look down the page
under "other events" where it clearly says "Participants choice...Runs
concurrently
with concours..."
Beyond that every kind of moving event is listed - weak schedule ? I don't
think
so. Once the full schedule comes out with times listed,I doubt you'd find it
possible to participate in everything.
Have you thought about all the sites for different events the host club must
secure ?
e.g. autocross, group picture, car show on Sat etc ? are all those sites
available
free ? How many conferance rooms in the hotel will be occupied by the vendors,
photo-model-craft contest throughout the event ? are they and the room for
the
welcome party, membership meeting, auction all free ? who pays for the
trophies ?
(and there are a TON of trophies) Last year at the other Portland there was
round
the clock security in the parking lot and the area in front of the hotel
where the
Triumphs were parked. Those weren't cops on duty - they were PAID by the host
club and I found out late one night they were watching the cars.
I can't say I've had a lot of inside knowledge about these events, but I
think its
safe to say that $125 a car will no where near cover the cost - without
significant
corporate sponsorship (which you'll see on the event program if you go) the
host
club would likely go deep in the hole for the privelege of working their
butts off to
plan, staff and present the convention.
And Finally - yes the event is worth every penny of the fee and then some.
I went to Maine last year and had a blast - without my Triumph. I wish it
wasn't
so far away this year, since the TR6 will be running by then, but maybe I'll
see
you in Colorado in 2001 - if you go to one of these you won't miss another
one
unless you have to.
Cheers
Jack Mc