Leaking oil dampers- ZS CDSE's

To: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Leaking oil dampers- ZS CDSE's
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 11:48:49 -0500
Cc: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Steve Nabors"
>Hi Listers,
I just got through going through my carbs with rebuild kits(on '74 Tr6
ZS-CDSE's). They were not leaking before rebuild but now after a good
cleaning, both dampers are leaking down over a couple of days. I pulled the
metering needle on one but the adjustment mechanism/allen screw is somehow
held in place.  Anyone got a 'been there, done that' technique on getting
this piece out. As well, is there a seal to replace once I've 'been there,
done that'?<

Did you soak the pistons in one of those carb cleaner buckets?  If so the
solvent may have deteriorated the O-rings in there that are supposed to
keep the dashpot oil in.  In that case you have two choices, 1) top up the
dashpots each time you drive, or 2) replace the O-rings (which are not part
of the standard kit.  At least I have never replaced them.)

Dave