Re: Thief prevention via a fuel pump switch

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Thief prevention via a fuel pump switch
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:30:29 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/17/99 10:16:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." wrote:
>  >
>  > Once I had a later TR-6 in that wouldn't start despite the confirmation
of
> fuel flow
>  > and spark - DPO had hooked up vacuum line to brake booster with a T
> fitting and then
>  > into the charcoal evaporative line for the float bowls found on the
later
> Zenith
>  > carbs.  When cranked, the float bowls would see the same vacuum as the
> venturis and no
>  > fuel was drawn up into the engine.
>  >

>  Now that's a _great_ idea.  Find a solenoid valve to switch the vacuum
>  around (I'll bet a fuel selector valve would work) and arrange it so the
>  solenoid has to be powered to not apply manifold vacuum to the float
>  bowls.  Work it in so it looks like part of the regular emission
>  controls, add a regular kill switch for the theif to find, I'll bet _no
>  one_ will be able to figure out the secret without prior knowledge.
>  And, I don't see any reason it couldn't be added to early cars without a
>  canister.

Brian & Randall,

I agree - a great idea!  Should be simple to implement, as many later cars
have electrically operated vacuum switches as part of the pollution control
system. The beauty of using one of these is that they look like they belong,
so a thief would never suspect anything. I need to go to the library and
check out the Chilton's manuals for an appropriate model to swipe one from.

Should be simple enough to tie into the alarm system for short term
protection, with a hidden switch for overnight protection.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74