Re: More TR 6 questions

To: trumpet@bellsouth.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More TR 6 questions
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:09:40 EDT
In a message dated 99-08-13 00:43:16 EDT, trumpet@bellsouth.net writes:

<< Ok, the word yesterday -from Mr. Mechanic was that my TR 6 had somehow
 destroyed another starter.  Second in two weeks & third in ten months.
 Does this make the hair on the back of your necks stand up with ideas?
 If so, I'll be glad to read them.

About 20 years ago I suffered a series of failed starters on my first TR6.
While some of the rebuilt Lucas starters we went thru were definitely
bad,  it turned out the real problem was the ring gear had actually
worked its way crooked on the flywheel - so a starter would appear to work
fine until one day the engine would just happen to come to rest with
the flywheel in just the right spot for the ring gear to be to far away for
the
starter to reach it OR in the opposite postion where the starter would jam
against the ring gear teeth which were to close. As time went by and the
ring gear became more and more crooked, starters would appear to fail
in shorter time periods.
This was a pretty bizare problem and in 20 years I've never heard of it
happening to anybody else - but maybe its worth checking out
Good Luck
Jack McGahey