Re: Altitude and carbs

To: Triumphs e-mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Altitude and carbs
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:46:40 -0700
Irv Korey wrote:
>When I drove my 74 TR6 from suburban Chicago to the VTR Convention in
>Boulder, there was a noticeable loss of power as we climbed higher. The
>autocross runs were made at a race track, and the engine would not pull
>the revs I was used to.
>
>I left the carbs the way there were as the car ran great down in the
>Flatlands, and dealt with it while I was in Boulder.

No carburettor or even fuel injection system can overcome the problem of
POWER LOSS at higher altitudes.  In Formula One racing, when they held
races at Mexico City (over 7000 feet of elevation, correct?) all the cars
were down on power because of the relatively sparse air at that elevation,
although the altitude had LESS of an effect during the turbocharged era,
when atmospheric air was "artificially" pressurized prior to combustion.
Interestingly enough, the cars also had to deal with decreased aerodynamic
downforce for the same reasons.

So, I would not expect a TR6 to have as much power at higher altitudes...
but I WOULD expect for the carbs to stay in tune with regard to mixture.
Thanks at least in PART to Zenith-Stromberg carburettors.  Ditto for SU's
and Japanese Hitachis, and any other carb that operates on the same
principle.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6