Re: spit tips on buying

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spit tips on buying
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:22:51 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
To: Triumphs e-mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 8:09 PM
Subject: Spitfire: tips on buying?

> Hi folks.
>
> I'm checking out a Spitfire for a buddy of mine.  It's a '79 with the
> factory hardtop AND a soft top (condition of the latter is not known yet)
> and although I have given the car a quick cursory look-over (it appears to
> be in pretty nice shape cosmetically... inside AND out) I have not driven
> it yet nor have I even heard it run.  My buddy has expressed some interest
> in it, so I'm gonna check it out for him.
>
> I wonder if I could ask the list populous for some input on what potential
> problems to look for.  I plan on the possibility of doing a thorough
> mechanical inspection, which will probably involve putting the car on
> stands and really getting into it.  But, since I'm not nearly as familiar
> with Spitfires as I am TR6's, I'm not altogether sure of what specific
> things to look for beyond obvious things such as U-joints, etc.

i would look at the floors very carefully, they rust way up under the
pedals.  also i would check to see if it has overdrive or not.  no OD=no
driving over 55-60 mph unless you are a masochist.  You should check the
wear on the crank by seeing how far it shifts forward when the clutch is
depressed after you have force it rearward as far as possible by hand.  A
certain amount of lean in the car toward the drivers side seems nearly
unavoidable.  As with all brit cars, be sure to see that reverse still
functions without a heavy hand keeping it in gear.

These are just a few of the problems i have learned to look out for...all in
all it is a pretty good car.  Funny, all i am doing is trying to get ahold
of a good TR6 for cheap...

> Also, I'm wondering about value.  As I indicated, this is a pretty clean
> and APPARENTLY well-cared for car.  It is all one color...(kind of an
> electric blue) and no repainting is evident, and yet the paint looks to be
> in good shape.  Even the engine compartment is blue.  The engine looks
> complete and original... not spotlessly clean, but not atrociously greasy
> and filthy, either.  The car is on a lot and the dealer says he might be
> able to get down to around $4000.  Seems steep to me, unless MAYBE it is
> really in FANTASTIC mechanical condition.  Anybody have any thoughts on
> that?

Really it would need to be in top shape to bring that sort of money,
mechanically and body as well.  Spits just don't bring in the money like a
TR6...Take your time and send out a few messages on the spit list, there are
always a few good cars for sale.  I always rush into buying this things and
end up regretting it a week later...

good luck
jim