Spitfire: tips on buying?

To: Triumphs e-mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire: tips on buying?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:09:18 -0700
Hi folks.

I'm checking out a Spitfire for a buddy of mine.  It's a '79 with the
factory hardtop AND a soft top (condition of the latter is not known yet)
and although I have given the car a quick cursory look-over (it appears to
be in pretty nice shape cosmetically... inside AND out) I have not driven
it yet nor have I even heard it run.  My buddy has expressed some interest
in it, so I'm gonna check it out for him.

I wonder if I could ask the list populous for some input on what potential
problems to look for.  I plan on the possibility of doing a thorough
mechanical inspection, which will probably involve putting the car on
stands and really getting into it.  But, since I'm not nearly as familiar
with Spitfires as I am TR6's, I'm not altogether sure of what specific
things to look for beyond obvious things such as U-joints, etc.

Also, I'm wondering about value.  As I indicated, this is a pretty clean
and APPARENTLY well-cared for car.  It is all one color...(kind of an
electric blue) and no repainting is evident, and yet the paint looks to be
in good shape.  Even the engine compartment is blue.  The engine looks
complete and original... not spotlessly clean, but not atrociously greasy
and filthy, either.  The car is on a lot and the dealer says he might be
able to get down to around $4000.  Seems steep to me, unless MAYBE it is
really in FANTASTIC mechanical condition.  Anybody have any thoughts on
that?

Thanks in advance!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6