Re: Dead TR6...

To: mowogmg@pil.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dead TR6...
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 06:00:55 PDT
>From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
>To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Dead TR6...
>Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:35:37 -0400
>
>It died this moring, at the Mobile Station...
>
>Put in $5 of Super, restarted the car... went to engage gear and I had a
>massive clunking noise, the car moved about 5 feet from the initial
>engagement.
>
>The car now won't drive, in any of the four gears.  I ripped out the
>wonderful cardboard gearbox cover, drive shaft is still attached (at both
>ends); the differential doesn't appear to be hanging down.  Engine starts
>fine.
>
>It makes absolutly no noises now, besides regular engine noise.  But even
>when shifting thru the gears it makes no noises.
>
>Is it possible to break your gearbox mainshaft?  Any other ideas?
>
>Looks like TRF is now shot, unless I can fix this by Saturday.  I have
>really bad luck...

   It may not be that bad.

   If you're not hearing anything at all from the gearbox, no
   grinding clicking or clunking your trouble may be elsewhere...

   Carefully place the car on jack stands, run it through the gears
   to see if there's any motion in the drive line. Check the clutch
   you might have broken the pin that holds the clucth fork. If all
   seems normal then drain your tranny fluid check for chunks or big
   flakes of metal. Before you pull the gearbox.

   As my wife (the doctor) says, when you hear hoofbeats think horses
   first, not zebras.

   Good luck

   Greg