Re: TR6 Clutch

To: gspens <gspens@interactivemediaworks.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:36:49 -0600
gspens wrote:

> What is the advantage of a hydraulic clutch?  Is it the old more parts
> to wear out faster bit, or is there a reason?  Just wondering, I mean
> the pedal is right there, it seems like a lot of trouble to run that
> whole hydraulic system.
>     Just wondering.

Sometimes it's a matter of geometry. At the time the cars were being
produced, cable-operated clutch linkage was not common, nor particularly
reliable, and the need for right- and left-hand drive cars created a
considerable problem if a bellcrank and rod linkage was used for the
clutch arm actuation. Hydraulics solved that problem nicely.

Beyond that, hydraulics have the reputation for being smooth and capable
of a fair amount of force multiplication, easing pedal application
pressure, although they are a bit more expensive to purchase, they are
definitely easier to engineer and install, particularly for variable
pedal position.

Cheers.