Re: Camber setting of front wheels, TR3

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber setting of front wheels, TR3
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 06:44:34 -0700
Paul :

Well, the answer to your question is :
find the broken/deformed/misinstalled/wrong part and replace/repair it.
It's true,
there is no adjustment for camber on a TR3.

I prefer to check camber with the car's weight on the wheels, as I feel
it gives you a more accurate picture of what happens on the road.  (The
TR3 suspension is deliberately designed so that camber changes as the
suspension moves up and down.) I park on a flat, level surface (my
garage floor), and use a carpenter's square with one leg on the floor,
and two 6" steel rules clamped to the other leg, so that they touch the
rim on the outside of the bead seat.  You also need to be sure that the
toe-in is set correctly, and the wheels are straight ahead.  (The TR3
has a fair amount of steering axis inclination, which means the wheels
deliberately tilt as they turn side to side.  And, if you've just let
the car down off the jack, bounce it a few times so that everything
'settles'.

Since all of the normal wear tends to make camber more negative (top of
wheel tilts towards car), your problem would most likely be either
accident damage or wrong/misinstalled parts.

Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be"